Running is out :(

by Alison on July 28, 2010

Yes, I am alive.

So I have tried to run 3 or 4 times in the last 2 weeks and I just can’t do it ๐Ÿ™ย  So much for 2nd trimester being better.ย  My breasts are so sore that the mere millimeters that they move in my sports bra is agony and I find after running 5 minutes my shoulders are sore, I’m guessing that I hunch my shoulders to try and compensate or cause less movement, it doesn’t work.ย  So I’m back to walking which is pretty much torture it is so boring now.ย  Anyone who has run while pregnant have any bra suggestions, I love my sports bra I really don’t move much even doing jumping jacks but it’s just too much at the moment.

The dogs on the other hand think not running is great as they are getting an extra walk a day.ย  Ironically not running I am probably racking up more miles as I power walk then walk the dogs, slow torture, then walk them again with Ben in the evening, even slower torture, when I walk them alone at least we walk fast between breaks…

I have gained 6 pounds, which might not sound like alot but is way more than I want to have gained at this point and mostly I’m pretty good, although if I am completely honest with myself my snacks have been higher calorie than before, it’s that craving chocolate and fat thing… But I really think it’s the reduction in activity that is doing me in.ย  We have also eaten out more as there are days I just don’t want to cook, or shop.

So I’m recommitting to healthy eating.ย  I have been journaling but not posting, maybe I’ll try posting it again.ย  I also need to get the junk food, healthy mostly but still not needed, out of the house.

July 27th

• Breakfast โ€“Overnight oats (1/2 cup thick cut oatmeal, 6 oz nonfat yogurt (homemade), Tbsp walnuts, 2 Tbsp dried cherries, 1/4 cup blueberries (from garden), honey), latte, nectarine
  • Lunch โ€“ Salad with goat cheese and vinagrette (meh), poached egg, 1 slice whole wheat toast, apricot, 1 80 calorie lemon bar
  • Dinner โ€“ Grilled Chicken Sausage on whole wheat bun with dijon mustard, sugar snap peas, 2 lemon bars
  • Snack โ€“ 1 trader joes chocolate pecan cloud (sinfully good and dangerous)

10 glasses of water or herb tea

walked 2.5 miles with dogs on 2 separate walks, after about 1.5 miles they start to drag and I start to get really frustrated with moving at 3 miles per hour, OMG so slow!

Jess July 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Ah! I forget who it was that I read about. She’s a USAT sponsored runner and does “middle distance” and she ran a 10K for fun while in her late second trimester I think. I’ll try to look it up for you. Maybe she will have tips.

Anyway, I remember reading that her pregnant 10K time was at least 25 minutes faster than my fastest ever unofficial 10K time. Sheesh.

Maybe you can try some water aerobics for now?
Jess´s last blog post ..Vulnerability and Failure

Alison July 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Yeah, I’m thinking about it but I have a hatred of indoor pools :p I also have to find a bathing suit which is proving to be more challenging than it should, why is a one piece in my size, maternity so hard to find??? Never been a fan of the tankini thing I like knowing my suit can’t possibly float up! ๐Ÿ™‚ Men don’t read further, you have been warned! Problem is that even being in a size 12 in bottoms I was still a 34 G or H on top and now they are bigger and waaaaaaaaay heavier, I think it’s the heavy thing killing me so finding support is brutal and finding women who ran pregnant with that bust size, challenging, stupid boobs! after babies chop chop (i kid, sort of). If you find the link let me know, thanks Jess.

Rachel July 28, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I have never been pregnant so I can’t speak to running while pregnant, but I can tell you that my Enell sports bra holds my 38DDD’s in extremely well for all activities. There is no movement at all! It looks like a suit of armor but it gets the job done. Running stores should carry them!

Alison July 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Hehe I use an enell and I used to love it, just not doing the trick at the moment ๐Ÿ™

Biz July 29, 2010 at 6:53 AM

I wouldn’t worry about just walking instead of running – in fact, I think walking is better on your joints at this point. And six pounds is all good – your growing a baby after all! ๐Ÿ˜€

SeattleRunnerGirl July 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Boo that the Enell isn’t working well enough for you – that was my suggestion, too. I think you need to just listen to your body right now, and do what you can. Yes it sucks, and I know you want to run. But you’re having a baby, Alison! Be excited for that and find a work-around for the running!
SeattleRunnerGirl´s last blog post ..Training Schedule- Progress Photos- &amp a Spa Day

Alison July 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I was surprised that the enell let me down, especially since it is tighter! ๐Ÿ˜› But anyone reading this do not think I disparage the enell, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that bra, jumping jacks, I used to be able to do jumping jacks, that’s how awesome a bra it is.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy August 2, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Yeah, I couldn’t imagine running when I was pregnant. That would be tough! I’m going to check your blog out more, thanks!
Debbi Does Dinner Healthy´s last blog post ..Apple &amp Pear Waldorf Salad