Four Cheese Baked Penne
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 1 cup small-curd low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese or Fat Free Quark
- 1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes more if you like it on the spicier side
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine the cottage cheese, ricotta cheese(or quark, I prefer quark, less calories and fat, but it’s not available everywhere), 1/2 cup mozzarella and parsley in a bowl and stir with a fork to incorporate and set aside. Cook pasta until tender but still firm, a minute or 2 less than the package directs. Drain.
Heat the oil in the same pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, rosemary, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Return pasta to pot with sauce and turn off heat. Add cheese mixture.
Spray a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray then transfer pasta mixture to pan. Top with remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella and the parmesan. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, 30 minutes. You can assemble this dish in advance and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Makes 8 servings
Total Fat 10 g
Sat Fat 5 g
Protein 24 g
Carb 55 g
Fiber 7 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 670 mg